Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful


Thanksgiving just might be my favorite holiday.  No matter what, our crazy, materialistic, over-the-top society really can't do anything to spoil it (except opening stores for Black Friday shopping ON Thanksgiving night!).  I love that it just kind of sneaks up on us.  I am so fortunate that my family does a potluck style dinner every year so I never feel overwhelmed.  Kentucky Pecan Pie and Green Bean casserole.  Every year.  Easy.  So really, Thanksgiving gets to be about well, being thankful.  So here is my list..... 

1.  I am so thankful to have grown up in a loving, stable, family.  My needs were more than met and even though I am one of six, I never felt slighted or neglected.  I had rules and boundaries, and while I may not have always felt this way, I see now that those rules and boundaries were created to protect me and help me grow.  Thank you Mom and Dad.

2.  I am so thankful for my education.  I attended a solid elementary school, a High School with enough diversity to keep me real, and an amazing Catholic liberal arts college that taught me above all to seek the Truth.   My college education was a luxury and I absolutely know it.  Hopefully I will pay it forward with my kids.

3.  I am so thankful for my marriage.  I think deep down all everybody wants is to love and be loved.  I get that every day and I am not saying it is always easy but it IS a gift. 

4.  I am thankful for health.  It is so easy to take for granted the simple blessing of health.  I know that the future can hold many things and I see people who are dealing with major illness either in themselves or their children and I wonder how I would manage.  For now I will just try to remember to give thanks each morning I wake up and everything is working.  And I will give double thanks for the health of my kids.

5.  I am thankful for my children.  Without them I would not have the constant, daily task of self evaluation.  I would not have to continually look in the mirror and wonder how I can do better.  I also would not have a lot of hugs, kisses, giggles, smiles and adventures.

6.  I am thankful for the gift of faith.  I did nothing to earn it or deserve.  But I did accept it.  All this thanks is pretty vague unless you have somewhere to direct it.  I am thankful to God, the giver of all gifts.

Of course this list could go on and on but I felt the need  to get at least a few in writing.  Gratitude is certainly one of the most reliable sources of joy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment