Sunday, April 15, 2012

Up


Easter had a different feel this year.  I can't really explain it but for many different reasons it was a little somber.  Diego opted to play with friends instead of dyeing eggs with the kids.  Mark worked on Easter Day and I was the only one of my siblings to be at the extended family party.  There is a lot going on in the family right now and it is a little tough.  That is why I am soooo thankful for my husband.  I think by nature I am somewhat of a pessimist.  I am not resigning myself to this, just acknowledging it so I can fight it.  Mark, however, always sees the bright side.  He can take any situation and find the positive.  So I am rethinking Easter 2012 and here is the up-side:


I had three smiling children coloring eggs and being very creative - they used crayons, rubber bands, toothbrushes and tape to make some pretty amazing creations.  Shortly after they finished I got to visit with my childhood friend, Caroline, who lives in D.C.  It is always nice to see her and catch up.


Easter morning I woke up to five healthy, happy children who had all the joy of Easter in their eyes.  It was especially fun watching Ava rifle through her basket of candy and hunt for eggs.





Although our extended family gathering was small it was nice because I got to have some real conversations just because there were fewer people.  Paula brought the red eggs to do the Greek tradition of "Christos Anesti".  I actually won which means I am supposed to have a year of good luck!




The kids enjoyed time with their east side cousins.


So I think I will remember this Easter for the way it made me look up.  I truly believe that at the end of the day, happiness is a choice.  Sometimes it is a hard choice and we have to go against the way we are feeling.  But I think it is an important choice.  We are called to be Easter people, always looking UP.


No comments:

Post a Comment