Thursday, May 19, 2011

Center of the Universe - Speck of a Star

Being the mother of five children of various ages can be challenging. Each is at a different stage, has different needs, and I am often left wondering if I am doing enough. But something occurred to me the other day that brought me some peace. One of the trickiest parts of being a parent is making our children feel like they are SO special, SO loved, SO important - in other words, the center of the universe - while simultaneously helping them to realize that they are a speck of a star in the scheme of things. This crazy paradox keeps me guessing, trying new tactics and constantly re-evaluating my parenting skills. How can I love them and give them my all without turning them into little monsters who can't see beyond their own wants and desires? But so much of this epic lesson is inherently taught in daily life of a family, especially a large family. I can't be everything for everyone at all times and so they learn to be there for each other, be patient, and be prepared for things to go just a little different than they planned. Of course this usually happens in the form of a few shoves, some shouting and maybe even a few tears, but it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment