Saturday, March 26, 2011

Should I stay or should I go now?




I can't remember who sings that song, but it captures my mindset the last few weeks. You see, I have this sort of cyclic mental process where I hash over my life and wonder what it would be like to live somewhere else. I grew up in Phoenix, went to the same school k-8, spent all 4 years at the same high school, went to college in Dallas, and now here I am, living in the house I grew up in, sending my kids to the same school, going to the same events, seeing the same people. Admittedly, I sometimes wonder what it would be like to set out and stake a life somewhere new, have new friends and new places to go to. But as I was uploading my most recent batch of photos onto the computer, I was struck with a sense of gratitude for the community I belong to and the tangled web of relations and friendships I am a part of. I have so many great memories of SSJ and it is fun to see my children creating those memories too. In this picture with Elise are two of her classmates - Kristen and Kahleah. I went to high school with Kristen's aunt and Kahleah's Mom and Kristen's Dad was one of Becky's teachers at SM. The older I get, the more connections there seem to be. Also pictured above is Sr. Raphael throwing out the first pitch for the Spring League. And then there was the GS Father/Daughter dance with an 80s theme that really sent me back in time. See me with my bros? I think it is part of God's grand plan to have some of us stay to keep the flames burning and others to carry a part of that flame out into some other part of the world. I like to pretend I am the latter but deep down I know how I am made and how I am happy. I am a flame keeper. I just have to resist the temptation of thinking that the grass is always greener on the other side. With gratitude and self knowledge, the grass is green everywhere you go.



No comments:

Post a Comment