Friday, December 23, 2011

Giving and Receiving

One of the many hats that Mark wears is President of the Dad's Club at SSJ.  This year the dads decided to help out a family in need for the holidays.  Sr. Loreto was aware of a family with 5 children whose father was out of work so a collection was taken up and Mark volunteered to shop for and deliver gifts to the family.  I am so thankful he did. 
Last Sunday Mark and his Mom and Tia Linda took our kids out to shop for this family.  All that they asked for was clothes.  No video games, ipods, etc.  Clothes.  Of course our kids complained and did not want to go, but they came back with smiles and I think they really enjoyed it.  They helped organize, sort and wrap.  And yes, they came along to deliver the gifts. More complaining. 
We pulled up to the house and were told by the lady out front that the family we were looking for lived in the back.  We made our way back and found their place - a 2 room apartment with a kitchen and a bedroom.  This is a 7 member family, just like ours.  I could not help but notice that even despite the conditions, there were Christmas lights over the door.  The family was beautiful and I was so glad that my mother-in-law came because she was able to communicate with them and give us a little window into their lives.  They were from El Salvador and had been here for 4 years.  He is an electrical engineer but has had a hard time finding work.  Their kids were beautiful and the older 2 boys spoke English very well.  The 17 year old was looking into college, had already received some scholarships and was hoping to go to Embry Riddle.  The mother was so welcoming and frieandly and I wished I could speak Spanish because I felt like we would have had so much to talk about.  She wanted to know if people thought I was crazy being the mother of five and we laughed at the things people say and how they don't get it.  They were very proud of their Catholic faith and expessed concern that their children would not find Catholic spouses in America.  They were grateful and humble and happy.
Sometimes it is hard to balance everything this time of year - the events, the shopping, the FINANCES.  The past week or two I was starting to feel the small pricks of anxiety that come with Christmas - and I didn't like it.  We showed up with boxes of gifts for a family in need.  They opened their home, offered us food and drinks, insisted that we sit down and get comfortable in their small kitchen.  They laughed and cried and sent us on our way with a bottle of sparkling grape juice and some homemade meringues.  There we were to bring them gifts and help ease their burdens - who knew they would do the same for us. 
On the car ride home I felt so many mixed emotions.  I felt incomprehensibly blessed.  I felt disturbed that there can be such economic disparity between people.  I felt peace that God lives and works and speaks among people of all cultures and conditions.  And I felt that unnecessary companion -  anxiety - slip right out of me.  Everything will get done, everything will work out.  All is calm, all is bright.  Thank you Lopez family.

No comments:

Post a Comment