Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Happy 13th Birthday Digs!


I could not resist putting a sweet baby picture in my blog celebrating Diego's 13th birthday.  This picture was taken when he was about 6 months old.  As I was flipping through the photo album I was struck by how often and how early on we were graced with this bewitching smile.  Diego is one of the happiest, friendliest, most magnetizing kids I have ever known.  I know I am his Mom and I have to say things like that, but it is all true.  He is so much like his Dad in that people just want to be around him.  He has always been filled with energy and enthusiasm for life and he is a natural entertainer.  And now he looks like this....


We celebrated on the 23rd with family and friends.  You fell for the cake trick - again!









Chris started it but Nana got you good!!  We are so happy the Sanford's are back in town and they were there to celebrate with you.



Of course there was after lunch entertainment.




It was a beautiful, fun day.  The next morning we had birthday pancakes and you were off to school, on to your football tournament, and home for about 30 minutes to eat tacos and put on your costume for the junior high dance.






Frightening :)  Although I did not get to see you much, I thought a lot about you on your birthday.  I was actually pretty emotional.  Everyone tells you how fast time will go and it is absolutely true.  I can not believe how old you are and how close we are to things like high school, dating and driving.  There is a part of me that feels very insecure about my ability to be the parent of a teenager.  I can do the baby thing.  I love the baby thing.  I can handle the terrible two's, the "why" phase, the mess making, the diapers.  All that seems easy in the face of texting and internet and downloading music and (not yet!) - phones.  I know the field you are about to cross is full of land mines and traps and I want to tell you to just hang back with me and avoid it all.  But I can't.  And deep down that is not what I truly want.  Because somewhere on the other side is a life all your own that you must go to.  I love you Diego and I will always be here for you to help you navigate and get back up when you fall.  Happy 13th birthday babe.  May God bless you with many, many more birthdays!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment